Thursday, September 17, 2026

The shape of my week

I'm not sure if it is because of the way one of my elementary school teachers chose to write out the days of the week or some conceptualization I developed on my own, but I've always pictured a week in my head like this:

    Sunday    Monday

                    Tuesday

                    Wednesday

                    Thursday

    Saturday  Friday

A funny not-quite-cyclical-but-kind-of series of days that make up the week, with Saturday and Sunday getting their own special place. Over the years I've asked my friends how they picture a week and no one has ever had this answer or even could relate to my visual. Interestingly, in my previous career this image felt especially relatable as I was always trying to rush through my week to get to the weekend, where I could spend my "real" time, the time that mattered so much more to me, the time separate from the rest.

I really related to the sundial notion of an hour described in the Scientific American article that had variable length depending on the season. This was a byproduct of the tool itself, but to me it is also how time sometimes *feels*. In fact, I often resent modern aspects of time of schedules. A friend once said to me that he can't believe that no matter the weather or occasion, you could go forward 10 years, 20, 50, and if it's a Wednesday we'll probably be indoors and at work.

Two somewhat tangental things:

  • I wish the articles talked more about why 7 days per week. There didn't seem to be much of a focus on 7 at all and I'm curious!
  • I was surprised to learn that the language of minutes and seconds was first used as a subdivision of degrees, not time. I knew of the terminology but had always assumed that it was first used in the time sense, likely because that is just the order in which I learned the usages. How very me-centric to think the terms must have developed chronologically to how I learned them!
Some gentle waves on Pender island


No comments:

Post a Comment

The market puzzle

The wrong idea I started the scale problem with a brute force method of just trying whatever. Originally I thought "oh we must need a w...